15 September 2010

Ritorniamo

Live and Learn

I always thought I could live just about anywhere in the US: Big city or small town, costal or highlands, east or west, north or south. Perhaps as I get older I get more set in my ways but I have learned I am more particular about where I could live than I thought.

Northern Virginia is not for us!

Valerie has returned to Lucanella and I will soon follow. We plan to be there until the week before Christmas, hopefully longer.

Our Permesso di Soggiorno (PdiS) will be due for renewal in November, our fourth time to renew them. Our experience has been that it is much easier to renew our PdiS than it would be to get a new Visa to start the process all over again if we allowed the PdiS to lapse.

We know we do not want to be in Northern Virginia and are pursuing work opportunities in Italy. If they do not work out then when we return to the US in December we will again start the process to find employment here in America. I do not know where that will be but I have some good ideas as to where it won’t be.

Lucanella

In Bucca al Lupo!

14 comments:

Jane said...

Bryan, you sound so melancholy--Italy is so your home of the soul now. I hope it all works for you and Valerie and that you are able to continue your dream. I think I understand it.

Niki said...

I lived in northern Virginia (Dale City) for a few years when I was a teenager. It wasn't for me either.

I hope things work out for y'all so that you can stay in Italy for as long as your heart desires.

Bryan said...

Jane - melancholy? Only being without my wife for several weeks.

NQ - Dale City, aahhh suburbia.

janie said...

Have a great trip and I know something will work out for you and Valerie to just stay in your new home!

Gil said...

Have a great time back in Lucanella! Where is it in Italy as I couldn't find it on my map or the internet.

Bryan said...

janie and Gil - With prayers and persistence it will work out.

We are being selfish and not putting the actual town name on the web. We are located close to Potenza.

Steve said...

If anyone can make it work, it's you two! We are green with envy.

I always liked the Maryland side better than the Virginia side.

Barbara said...

in bocca al lupo indeed! best of luck and we hope to see one or both of you next month!

Bryan said...

Steve & Barbara - Thanks for the comments. Barbara - Valerie said you guys plan to be in Puglia soon.

garret said...

Good luck to both of you.I'm an avid reader of your blogs and admire you for pursuing your dreams.

garret said...

Best of luck to both of you. I'm an avid follower of your blog and admire you for following your dreams!

Valerie said...

Hurry home honey! :) Lucanella is waiting for you.
Barbara - look forward to see you and Art in Matera!

Bryan said...

garret - Thanks for the support.

Baci - 13 days!

Gil said...

Speaking of Northern Virginia, we just got back from a wedding in Bracey and stayed in a motel in South Hill. I will remember that area for all of the fast food joints along route 58 rather from the beautiful new church in Bracey and the reception at Rosemont vineyards!