04 June 2010

Where am I from?


Somebody asked me this the other day and I realized that there is not an easy answer. When you move to a new area you will often be asked this question and most people will reply with the city or state where they were born. When I rattle of the places where I have lived I feel like what we used to call an “Army brat”, having moved from one location to another.

I was born outside of Chicago but grew up near Akron. I went to college in Columbus, OH and moved to Albuquerque soon after getting married. We lived in the Albuquerque area for 20 years with a short stay in Denver then moved to Italy. After three years we returned from Italy to Cleveland for a few months before relocating here to Alexandria, VA.

I grew up in Ohio but when people ask me where I’m from I usually respond Albuquerque. I lived there longer than anywhere else. The high desert area has left a strong impression on me and our time there has shaped our lives and our marriage.

I grew up in Akron, I’m from Albuquerque, but my dreams are firmly planted in Italy.

6 comments:

subu.ps said...

A typical dilemma of a kid born in one place and brought up at different places later on. I too identify myself with the place where I grew up rather than the place where I was born

Anonymous said...

Bryan....

Why do you continue to wear the little purse/pouch/passport carrier/knapsack/abdomnial cover?

Just wondering.

Bryan said...

subu - Not always a bad dilemma to have.

Just wondering - When you find something that works and is practical in any country, stick with it:

http://2italy.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-do-i-carry-all-of-this.html

casalba said...

Have exactly the same problem. Not only did I move from country to country as a child - from the age of 11 months, but my mum is Ukranian, my dad Welsh and my husband Italian. I have two dogs, they are English Setters and I was born in the UK - so, suppose that's it, then.

Bryan said...

casalba - You certainly do have a mix there!

Nelly said...

Wow you move a lot... I have a friend who has exactly the same situation. Her mother and father are volunteers and they always move from one place to another. The good thing about that is that she has so many friends from around the world. But I think permanence in residence is very important too. It is hard to say goodbye all the time.