20 August 2008

Caffe' vero

Coffee main ingredient


My friend Luca at CafĂ© Pretoriana has been giving me some lessons on making caffe’ in exchange for me helping him with his English. I think I benefit more than he does!



Luca explained that one of the big factors is the grind of the coffee, and he adjusts this both daily and throughout the day based on the air temperature and humidity, constantly keeping an eye on how the liquid gold flows from the machine. A firm example of how a one button machine can never match the quality of a good barista.



The ground coffee is dispersed into the holder and the coffee is stamped in the holder. The holder is then put in the machine and under pressure the water is forced through the coffee grinds coming out in a stream no thicker than a string of yarn. The coffee is dispensed straight into the ceramic cup it will be served in (many places in the US make the coffee in a metal cup then pour into another cup to serve).



Caffe’ that is hot and creamy with a thick crema, and no bitter taste…mmmmm!



My experience with caffé in America is confirmation that coffee pods and push button machines just do not match the results of a good barista.

6 comments:

erin said...

what a great deal you have - english for coffee lessons. The photos of this cup being made, makes my mouth water...you're so right about it being completely different than anything in America.

Anonymous said...

You said it!

Bryan said...

Mi piace caffe'!

Erin, I have not been able to get into your blog for a couple weeks.

Anonymous said...

oh yum......you said it perfectly, "Caffe’ that is hot and creamy with a thick crema, and no bitter taste…mmmmm!"

unfortunately the last time i was in florence i had a few experiences with bitter caffe......apparently not all caffe is created equal.

Erin, I too have been having trouble with your blog lately. Sometimes I'm able to read and comment seamlessly, but most times it crashes my entire browser....

Gil said...

Sounds like a good deal. I never knew or even thought about changing the grind due to weather conditions. I did learn, in Naples, that you have to let a little steam through the machine before putting the grinds holder on and that you must you a heated cup for best results. The way I've seen it made in the US they used paper or cold cups and served cold coffee.

Gil said...

Erin,

I have no trouble with your blog but it takes a little long to get all loaded up. I just figured that the photos were taking a little time to load. I have high speed cable internet connection.

Sorry to kidnap this blog.